WizYo Blog ! WizYo Sytes Net Tech Support
What a great place to share :) Here you will find flashes of brilliance caught for all the world to enjoy. .. Actually, these are brief articles describing how I fixed a problem. Every day, I find information online that helps me solve a mystery. So this is me giving back to the community. Thanks for stopping by.. and don't forget to tell your friends!

Fixed a laptop with a thumbtack and a magnifying glass!

I was given a laptop that is old and didn't seem to work. It would light up when plugged in, but system wouldn't beep or anything so I figured it was a bad motherboard. After gathering the beanZ to crack it open, I was stumped by the design and checked with Compaq's website for a service manual. The helpful support rep sent me the wrong document, but it was close enough to help me find another document that was almost like the one I had torn apart.

Reseating the processor and memory did not seem to work. I pulled the floppy disk drive and noticed some corrosion around a few soldered contacts. The chip with most of the funk is probably for video. It looks like somehow some liquid got underneath the floppy drive and caused shorting and corrosion of these circuits.

I grabbed a sock to wipe off some crust, but it didn't help much. Then I got the bright idea of using a thumbtack to scrape off some crust so that the tiny solder connections didn't short together. Luckily, I had seen my old trusty magnifying glass in a box of junk recently. With enough light and a little patience, I scraped on the circuits for a few minutes.

After reassembling the laptop, it refused to boot just like before. As I was sitting there thinking about the value of the individual components, I cut the power and then turned it back on (still not sure why). To my suprise, the video flickered and it booted right up just fine and without errors!

Blazing speed and enormous storage were science fiction when this ironclad was forged, but I was tickled pink when all 32MB and Windows 98 said hello. 2 Gig hard drive! Office '97! does it get any better? hehe

Unfortunately, my wireless network card does't work in the unit so I really don't have much use for it, but I just had to share that trick with the thumbtack. And to think, it was diagnosed as a "bad motherboard" !

 

 

( )

Wednesday, April 05, 2006


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back to top.

Home
WizYo
Sytes Net

Links
~hot~ Links


this site !

GuestBook
Guests

Free Hit Counter

Blog!

Tell a friend about Tech Support available here !

Free Phone with iTunes
- Previous -
 
- TigerDirect specials for March 2006
 
- Tech docs come in waves too
 
- Notes on data recovery pricing
 
- NAV '06 bargain shopping
 
- Steps for adding an existing PC to domain
 
- Lotus Domino prefers individuals to clones
 
- Mas90 slow printing might not really be Mas90
 
- LinkSys firmware round two
 
- Activation Wizard Hanging
 
- Bookmarking Persistent Searches in Gmail
 
- Search -
 

 


it's private

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?