WizYo Blog ! WizYo Sytes Net Tech Support
What a great place to share :) Here you will find flashes of brilliance caught for all the world to enjoy. .. Actually, these are brief articles describing how I fixed a problem. Every day, I find information online that helps me solve a mystery. So this is me giving back to the community. Thanks for stopping by.. and don't forget to tell your friends!

Terminal Server 2003 Licensing Downgrade

I evaluated a server the other day and determined that it needed Terminal Server licenses added. The server is Windows 2000 and once worked just fine with several Windows 2000 PCs attached to it, but lately, several Windows XP systems have been getting disconnected with a licensing error. Since there were no previously installed licenses, I had a 5 pack ordered.

Turns out, licenses for Server 2000 are not sold anymore, but licenses for Server 2003 can be purchased and then downgraded to Server 2000 licenses.

When I received the license confirmation email from Microsoft, I did my normal thing of going to the Eopen website to receive my special codes. When I was notified that no installation code is required, I happily remoted in to the server, but then was immediately confused by the request of an Enrollment number

After spending a half hour on the phone with Microsoft Licensing, a confused associate said he had some information on Terminal Server 2003's settings, but would try to help me with Server 2000.

I then said, "So it's just a setting?" and before he could say anything else, I located the server's licensing properties and changed it from Microsoft Enterprise Agreement to Microsoft Open License Program.

Now the Authorization number and License number provided via email are accepted by the server just fine.

 

 

( downgrade Terminal Server 2003 licenses to Server 2000, TS2003, TS2000, TS2K, TS2K3 )

Monday, April 10, 2006


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back to top.

Home
WizYo
Sytes Net

Links
~hot~ Links


this site !

GuestBook
Guests

Free Hit Counter

Blog!

Tell a friend about Tech Support available here !

Free Phone with iTunes
- Previous -
 
- Fixed a laptop with a thumbtack and a magnifying g...
 
- TigerDirect specials for March 2006
 
- Tech docs come in waves too
 
- Notes on data recovery pricing
 
- NAV '06 bargain shopping
 
- Steps for adding an existing PC to domain
 
- Lotus Domino prefers individuals to clones
 
- Mas90 slow printing might not really be Mas90
 
- LinkSys firmware round two
 
- Activation Wizard Hanging
 
- Search -
 

 


it's private

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?